WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BUYING FROM CANADA?
- The USD/CAD exchange rate is the lowest it’s been in years. Based on the current strength of the US dollar, US customers can save $1000’s on each unit of used equipment purchased from WEST Equipment.
- Our equipment offered is also the exact same model you currently buy from your local US dealer.
IS BUYING EQUIPMENT FROM CANADA WORTH THE HASSLE?
- There is no hassle whatsoever. WEST Equipment have brokers to handle all paperwork and transportation on your behalf. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the money you will have saved.
HOW DOES THE CURRENT CAD/USD EXCHANGE RATE AFFECT MY PURCHASE?
- At the time of purchase, we will convert your purchase price and subsequent expenses from CAD to USD using the most current exchange rate. That can yield up to 30% savings just from the currency conversion.
WHAT CUSTOMS AND SHIPPING DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED?
- WEST Equipment makes it easy for you to take advantage of these cost savings by handling all paperwork and transportation. However, if you do want to handle the process on your own, the documentation required includes:
- BILL OF LADING: The Bill of Lading must contain a legible, complete and accurate description of the goods and must be consistent with the information listed on the Commercial Invoice. This includes the type of clearance preferred by the consignee and the name of the Customs Broker (or their appointed agents).
- COMMERCIAL INVOICE: The Commercial Invoice contains a complete description of the goods being shipped, along with the proper valuations and currency information. You will require two copies of the Commercial Invoice. One must accompany the freight from the point of pickup to the point of customs clearance, and the other should be attached to the Bill of Lading.
- CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN: The Certificate of Origin is used by the broker to determine the correct rate of duty under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). If this document is missing, the highest rates may be applied to each item and U.S. Customs may not allow the goods into the country. NAFTA documents are not required at time of border clearance and can be submitted up to 90 days after a shipment has cleared customs.
- EPA EMISSIONS STANDARDS – STICKER AND FORMS: US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) documentation is required for an engine to enter the USA. Engines require a clearly visible EPA sticker, usually located on the cylinder head cover (or if there is no EPA sticker, a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the engine conforms to all EPA requirements) as well as Form 3520-21.
WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE FOR BROKERING THE DEAL?
- WEST Equipment can work with a broker on your behalf, handling all paperwork necessary to get your equipment delivered to your door.
- If you’d like to be more involved in the process, we can also put you in touch with a broker so that you can get the deal done – or you can simply source and work with your own broker if you so choose.
- Fees for all options will be similar.
WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE FOR TRANSPORTATION AND DELIVERY?
- WEST Equipment can fully arrange transportation for you at a reasonable rate, for delivery to your door.
- If you’d like to be more involved in the process, WEST Equipment can meet you with the item for pick-up at the border for you to carry across yourself or you can arrange transportation to pick up the equipment directly from us.
- Please note, goods entering the USA must be carried by a carrier registered with the National Motor Freight Transportation Association and have their own SCAC code.
WHAT ADDITIONAL COSTS ARE INVOLVED WHEN BUYING FROM CANADA?
- Equipment assembled in the USA will have no duty to be paid on WEST Equipment used equipment purchases transported to the US.
- The only taxes to be paid are those mandated by the US government, same as if the equipment was bought locally in the USA.
- There is a minimal charge for brokerage fees for the necessary customs documentation.
- Shipping costs will vary depending on the weight of the unit and distance to be travelled, however you will experience shipping costs to some extent regardless of where equipment is purchased.
- Carriers of the equipment will have insurance on the unit during transport, though we advise you secure your regular insurance on the equipment prior to its departure.
WHERE IS WEST EQUIPMENT LOCATED IN PROXIMITY TO THE USA?
- WEST Equipment has machines in several locations throughout Western Canada. Only a short drive north of the Washington, Idaho, Montana and North Dakota border.
HOW CAN I TRACK MY SHIPMENT?
- If WEST Equipment is shipping for you, we will let you know the trucking company handling the shipment and custom tracking number of your equipment.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR MY EQUIPMENT TO ARRIVE?
- After purchase is finalized, shipping arrangements will be made immediately. Items can arrive as early as 2-3 days from time of departure, depending on distance to be travelled and barring any issues with customs.
WHAT METHODS OF PAYMENT ARE ACCEPTED?
- Cash, cheque, or electronic transfer are all accepted forms of payment.
- WEST Equipment can also arrange financing through our in-house WEST Finance.